Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Friday 17 January 2014

Knitting dishcloths

I've been a bit sneaky around study the past couple of days and have been knitting a couple of dishcloths in between note taking/ essay writing. I so miss knitting as much as I usually do over a summer!

My discovery last year of Sugar'n'creme cotton was a real delight. (Available from www.yarnz.co.nz at pretty reasonable prices.) Leonie from Kiwiatheart blog made  me a pair for the dishcloth swap and I adored them! I have only just started using them this year too, as they really did seem too lovely to use. But they are gorgeous to use!

I mainly use these two patterns to knit them. (I can crochet too BUT I cannot for the life of me read a crochet pattern.

This one is taken from the "Down to Earth" book by Rhonda Hetzel. (stunning and a very useful book too!)

The pattern is from Deb at the a homespun Blog (home-spunliving.blogspot.com)

Needle size 6 (US) or 8 (UK)

1- Casting 38 stitches
2- Knit 3 rows for border
3- Row 1 (right side ) knit
4- Row 2 knit 3, purl to last 3 stitches, knit 3
5- Row 3 knit 3 (purl 2 knit 1) 10 times, purl 2, knit 3
6- Row 4 knit 3 (knit 2, purl 1) 10 times, knit 5.

Repeat these 4 rows 6 times.

Rows 61-75 knit and then cast off.

( I just usually repeat the 4 row pattern and then knit 3 rows for a border without doing all 75 rows...)

Next pattern I found off the Love2knit dishcloths website:

Cast on in multiples of 3 (I use either a 4.5mm (UK) for sugar'n'creme cotton or a 4mm(UK) for other cotton) (so 4,7,10,13,16...).
    (I have cast on 28 stitches however these could be a bit wider.. I will stretch them!)

Row 1 (right side) p1, * K2, P1; repeat from * to end
Row 2 K1, * P2, K1; repeat from * to end
Row 3 repeat row one
Row 4 Knit

Repeat these 4 rows until the desired length and cast off.

Enjoy! Knitted dishcloths are the best and a fab thing to sit and knit at night in front of tv (well I watch very very little tv...). I have sent so many away lately for little gifts/ cheer me ups, that I need to build up a stash again!

And I always knit two at once!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Kimberley. Can't wait to get started. I bought some nice cotton yarn yesterday which should make two or three maybe. Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete