Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Sunday 14 May 2017

Postcard from the Catlins

(Thursday May 11, 2017) My university lecture was cancelled today - a moment of great glee for me. Of course I've just looked at the tip in this house (as little was done while I was very sick in the school hols) and then consequently scrubbed a shower, emptied rubbish bins, cleaned up my bedroom, added to the op shop pile all in the name of essay avoidance. I've another one due in a week, another one due in 3 weeks and then an exam in 4 weeks - this all just frankly terrifies me! I could just happily quit work and stay home and do it all (the prospect of that happening could happen... I'm now taking the job term by term.... yes my focus and love is dwindling.....)

Anyway weeks ago, I visited the incredible Catlins area way down the bottom of the South Island. If you want empty roads, few tourists and stunning scenery, it is recommended! I'll be taking the husband back (it truly holds zero interest for teenage boys and I won't even bother trying to even attempt a family trip down there!).

(Sunday, May 14,2017 - Mother's Day but commercial hogwash in this house, so non-existent and I'm okay with that! )

The Catlins is stunning - I *think* this was the lighthouse at Waipapa Point - pity it was under re-construction! -  it was FREEZING, so we didn't hang around long! This is the bottom of the South Island! Lighthouses info of Southland is here




 Curio Bay blew me away - we saw a 180 million year old petrified forest - if you see the diagonal lines in the rocks - those are the trees! This was a wild, wild coastline - incredible just watching the waves and the sea come barrelling in!














 And a couple of general viewpoints on teh way back to Dunedin. I'd lvoe to go back and stay at some of the cribs (holiday homes - North Islanders call them baches!) one day - quite an isolated part of New Zealand, but i was amazed at how many holiday settlements there were. Such incredible scenery everywhere and very doable over a couple of days, but I'd love to stay longer!






1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, it does sound a lovely place to visit. Good luck with your essays and exams, I don't know how you manage to work full time with all this study.

    ReplyDelete